Tuesday, April 29, 2014

GO Ecuador Travel Diary Day 4 - Amanda Burks

We had to sing to the students in return for them singing to us.

Day four - Thursday March 13, 2014

Today we were able to tour the third center. This center focuses on infants as well as classes. Mothers are able to bring their babies and get milk as well as checkups. The center has a doctor and also does blood and urine work when necessary. When we visited the classrooms the children sang and danced for us. The children also told us jokes. In return we had to sing for the kids as well. They were so happy to sing for us and to see us singing. The children are always happy when they are at the center even though their home life is rough. They actually get to be kids and play while at the center, as opposed to the responsibilities they have at home to work and take care of younger siblings. The children play so rough but are yet so happy. While watching the kids play a little five-year-old came up to me and wanted me to pick her up and just hold her. Just holding her made her happy. She just wanted attention. She would play with my hair and earrings, then just lay her head on my chest. It’s the small things you do for them that makes a difference.

After visiting the center, we also toured two churches, the original center, and the presidential house. Doing the tours, I was able to really experience Ecuador and the culture. I was proud of myself today because I am scared of heights and climbed up to the platform at the church. Even though I did not go all the way to the top, I was still pretty high up. I also was able to climb up into the bell tower. When I had to climb back down I was really scared. Other members of the GO team helped me with my fear of heights and I really appreciated it. They were talking me through the whole way, and even carried my book bag so I can easily navigate the steps. The GO team members started off as strangers and we are slowly becoming a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment